Friday, April 21, 2017

diy the trend: patchwork jackets for mother & daughter!

The embellished or embroidered patch trend is popping up everywhere and my daughter mentioned how much she loved the look when we were perusing the craft store recently.  So on a whim I decided it would be super fun to DIY denim jackets together in line with this trend.  I picked up inexpensive denim jackets from Old Navy and then ordered a whole slew of iron on patches online.

My daughter had an absolute BALL picking out which patches would go on her jacket and just for fun I let her pick out the patches for my jacket too.  She was a on roll... who was I to stop her?  The best thing about this DIY is that it literally takes 5 minutes!  You can use items you already own like shorts, t-shirts, sweatshirts, fabric totes, or like we did: denim jackets.  Then we (she) had fun picking out which patches would go where then I simply ironed them on. It was start to finish a 5-10 minute project with instant results, making it the perfect DIY to do with your kids (I don't know about your kids, but mine have zero patience!)  Read on to see some of my tips for this simple project!



Tips and tricks:
1) I ordered all our patches from Amazon.  I like these, these, these or these. But feel free to search for more
2) Have some fun picking out your patches... make sure you try lots of different variations and then pin them on before you iron them. 
3) Iron them on! All the packages I purchased said not to use steam... but guess what, I'm impatient and that didn't seem to work very well. So I steamed the heck out of them and voila! They were stuck for good instantly. 

Or you can shop the trend here...



 

site design by kiki co.