Friday, April 28, 2017

what I read this month... april 2017!


As April comes to a close, it's time to round up the books I read this month... I did the majority of my reading over the first half of the month and then later in the month I was kind of a slacker.  Here's what I read this month:

The Children... This book is the (fictional) story of a quirky and wealthy family living on the East Coast in modern times.  Their ancestral home "Lakeside" is the setting for family drama of love, marriage, inheritance and history.  This is a rather short book and a quick read.  I always love a good family drama and this one delivered.  Also, one of the main characters was a blogger in a round-about way - which is always fun to read about.

What I Saw and How I Lied... This is another super quick read, this time in the Young Adult genre.    The story is about a teenage daughter that gets embroiled in the disappearance of her father's colleague and in the end tells some pretty big lies.  That's no spoiler as the title hints to it. If you enjoy YA and want a quick read this book is for you... if you are on the fence about YA - you may want to skip this one. It's very cliche YA-ish.

The Second Mrs Hockaday (kindle)... Set in the South in Civil War America this book is a real page turner.  You more or less get the end of the story in the first part of the book and then you read your way through the story to figure out how the characters got to that ending.  The story is told exclusively through letters and news clippings.  Those two factors made the book un-put-downable to me! The book can be sad and tragic at many points, but has a redemptive ending that I really enjoyed.

One True Loves... No one does Chick-Lit as well as Taylor Jenkins Reid in my opinion.  The premise of this tear jerker is the that the main characters husband disappears right before their one year anniversary.  After grieving his loss, she moves on and several years later he re-appears right before she is set to remarry.  This is a very sweet story and a real page turner.  Chick-Lit at it's best!

Currently reading... Special Topics in Calamity Physics! It's moving a little slow for me, but I have heard such great reviews I am going to stick with it.

This month I also got sucked into the S Town Podcast (LOVED it!) and Thirteen Reasons Why (this goes in the "meh" category for me) on Netflix... which really dug into my reading time! Have you listened or watched either?

 

site design by kiki co.